Machine Component Installation
This document will detail the steps required to install the Adaptive Flipper Control (AFC) components into your pinball machine. It should be acknowledged that some level of understanding of pinball schematics is required to complete this install. Prior to beginning the install a review of all the instructions and an inspection of the machine is required to determine where the plug will be installed and how the connections to the flipper switches will be done.
There is a video of the installation process on our website: www.gamepreservehouston.com
Process 1 – Inspection of Machine
Before installing the components, you need to inspect your machine for placement and connection requirements.
You need to determine if and how the flipper connections will be made. To determine if your machine is AFC compatible. AFC requires several basic electronic concepts to work properly. They are listed below with a place to “check off” each requirement to help facilitate the compatibility requirement test.
__ 1 All flippers must use a common circuit. Record common Wire Color here: _______________
__ 2. Multiple flippers activated with single button must NOT have separate ground circuits.
For more details on validating some of these requirements, please visit our website and review the Machine Requirements page or call our support staff.
It is strongly suggested that the plug component be installed through the lower cabinet base on the front left corner. We have found that this location is most commonly an area without obstruction and allows for the plug to be installed without damage or change to any visible portion of the cabinet. Secondly and just as important, this location allows for the disabled player to locate the plug easily as it matches all the other machines they have played before. Based on this suggestion, locate a place for the plug to be mounted. Thoroughly inspect the area of installation and ensure no wires or metal components will hamper the installation. Some machines have a thin metal plate under the bottom for their protection. If the machine has this plate, you will need a metal hole saw of some type to install. We recommend a stepper bit designed for thin metal.
If all the above requirements are checked off, you are ready for the next process.
Process 2 – Preparation
The following tools will be required to install the machine components.
1. Drill with 1 1/8” drill bit and a small bit to fit the attachment screws.
2. For machines with a metal protective panel a stepper bit or metal hole saw is required. 3. Small point Phillips head screwdriver or driver bit (validate fit of screw head).
4. If you want to shorten the wires, cutters or wire stripper will be required.
Remove the playfield glass and raise the playfield and remove components to give you access to the flipper buttons and the location the jack will be installed.
Process 3 – Installation
1. Review jack location once more and determine easiest direction to drill from (top or bottom).
2. Drill 1 1/8” hole through bottom of cabinet.
3. Thread wire UP through the bottom of the cabinet and position jack/plate through hole. 4. Secure the plate to the cabinet with the provided screwed. Predrilling screw holes may not be necessary but if so, use the plate as a guide for the screw hole locations.
5. Position the 2 conductor (RED/BLACK) wires in a manner that does not cause obstruction to the game components and position the end of the wires to the LEFT flipper button connections.
6. Connect one of the wire taps to each of the three wires identified earlier.
7. Connect the BLACK wire to the common circuit connection of the LEFT flipper button. See number 1 in Process 1 above to determine wire color.
8. Using the same method as Step 7, connect the RED wire to the signal connection of the LEFT flipper.
9. Position the single conductor (WHITE) wires in a manner that does not cause obstruction to the game components and position the end of the wires to the RIGHT flipper button connections.
10. Using the same method as Step 7, connect the WHITE wire to the signal connection of the RIGHT flipper.
11. Power on the game and test WITHOUT the AFC controller. Review and fix any issues.
12. Test the game with the AFC controller. Review and fix any issues.
We made every effort to ensure the installation of the AFC is a simple and straight forward as possible. However, we could not anticipate every condition that exists. We do provide email support and phone support, however unless you are extremely lucky to catch us at the warehouse/office, an email will be the best method to acquire assistance. If you do email, please include the Make/Name of your machine along with the problem you are having. Photos of the components in question are always good.